General Assistance is a locally administered welfare program that provides financial assistance to unemployed or disabled Oak Park residents in accordance with the Illinois Department of Human Services guidelines, and offers referrals and information regarding eligibility for other assistance-type programs.
To qualify for General Assistance, applicants must:
- Be seeking employment or applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Meet income and asset guidelines
- Not be eligible for other government-sponsored assistance
- Adhere to General Assistance Guidelines
For more information about eligibility or to schedule an appointment, please call 708-383-8005.
To apply for General Assistance, please make an appointment and be prepared to provide:
- Proof of residency (lease or mortgage statement)
- Proof of unemployment status or Social Security Disability status
- Other documents to determine eligibility including, but not limited to: Driver’s license or State ID, birth certificate, and proof of income for the past 30 days
Click the links below for more information.
General Assistance eligibility requirements
Frequently Asked Questions about General Assistance